Friday, February 18, 2011

Great Expectations

"Marriage is great when two people enter into it with a mutual commitment to keep it strong no matter what. But often a couple will have preconceived ideas about who the other is and how married life is supposed to be, and then reality hits...You have to continually PRAY that any unreal expectations be exposed and all incompatibilities be smoothed out so you grow together in a spirit of unity, commitment and a bond of intimacy. Pray that your marriage is a place where two agree so God will be in the midst of it (Matthew 18:19-20)." -Chapter on Marriage from "Power Of A Praying Wife"

I think the last two sentences have really hit home for me with the most intensity these past weeks. MY expectations have always been a mood KILLER in my marriage and one of Scott's biggest frustrations in trying to live up to them. Poor guy!

Since this challenge started, my focus has shifted from my expectations to focusing on my husband. It has been such a breath of FRESH AIR to us both. In fact, this past Valentine's day was the best we have had since before we were married! We had a blast from the beginning of the day to the very end and it all came down to the fact that I went into the day NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING!! So every little hug, every extra moment of tender time together was a bonus to me! I can't express to you what a joy it was to us both to go on a date and not get irritated, or frustrated with the other person. It was AWESOME! It will be a Valentine's Day I will always remember, not because of flowers, cards, candy or a catered meal, but because I enjoyed every moment for what it was...time to love and be loved by my man!

1 comment: