Saturday, February 12, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

I have been thinking a lot about my attitude towards Aaron. A lot of times, I can get very discontent with myself or circumstances around me (like money, busy schedules, being tired) that I'm completely blinded to what Aaron's needs are or caring for him how I should be. I think women in general have to guard their minds as well as their hearts from negativity and complaining. I'm speaking to myself also as I write this! I constantly have to keep my focus on the Lord and the eternal value of what I do/feel each day because it's easy to turn the focus back on myself and let my heart get hard. I believe God wants us to replace negativity with gratitude. We are saved by His grace which is a far bigger gift than I can ever fathom, and we have husbands who are such a blessing and are chosen by our all-knowing Creator himself, not to mention all the many blessings we are surrounded with and take for granted every day. It's also very needed to tell your husband consistently how thankful you are for him, who he is and what he does for you. I have been trying to work on this so far this month, and I feel like I fail far too much. But, I try to start with checking my heart and making sure I replace discontentment with gratitude, then it's easier to a positive attitude overflow to my husband and Keagan. Aaron definitely reacts in a positive way when I greet him with a smile, hugs and kisses or grateful encouragement. A positive attitude also has a huge impact on all the areas of oneness that Lev has said 1 Corinthians teaches us to have in our marriages. I think this could stretch into all areas of my life besides just my marriage, but it's a good place to start. I'm also trying to be more calm during "discussions" or conflicts that we have and not just assume that what I'm thinking is right. I think I will be battling my negative attitudes for the rest of my life, but with God's help, he can help me overcome Satan's lies that my desires are more important than what God wants or more important than caring for those around me, especially Aaron. Please keep me accountable to this. I need all of your help!

Philippians 2:5-8

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death- even death on a cross!"

James 6:8-10

"The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

-Mikaela

1 comment:

  1. Ps. 16:5-6
    Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.

    ReplyDelete